Submission to Golden Fleece Press of short stories, poems, puzzles, essays, or artwork constitutes the acceptance of the following contract. Please read it carefully. If you have questions or concerns please contact us at goldenfleecepress-at-gmail.com
Short Story/Essay (Reprint), or Poetry/Poem/Artwork (Reprint) Contract
This contract is made between Golden Fleece Press, hereinafter referred to as the PUBLISHER, and you, hereinafter referred to as the AUTHOR.
The parties agree as follows:
- The Author grants permission for the Publisher to include his or her short story/poem/artwork hereinafter referred to as the WORK, in Refractions, Wee Tales or Deep Waters, for publication in the English language in all countries throughout the world.
- (a) The Author agrees not to publish or permit others to publish the Work in any form prior to its publication in Refractions, Wee Tales, or Deep Waters for a period of six (6) months after the publication in the applicable journal without the prior written permission of the Publisher. If the Work is selected for a “best of the year” anthology, the Publisher agrees to waive this clause, provided the Author gives the Publisher prior written notice of the selection by such an anthology.
(b) The Author further grants the Publisher the right to nonexclusively archive the Work for as long as the Publisher remains in business.
- The Author grants to the Publisher the nonexclusive, worldwide English-language right to republish the Work or cause the Work to be republished in any book or anthology consisting of material at least 50% of which previously appeared in the applicable journal, and which includes works by more than three or more contributors.
- The Author also grants to the Publisher the additional, nonexclusive right to collect the audio edition of the Work in the future in an audiobook compilation consisting of material at least 50% of which appeared in the applicable journal, and which includes works by more than three or more contributors.
- For the rights granted to the Publisher in this Agreement, the Author will receive a payment by check or third party system in the sum of fifty dollars ($50)(twenty dollars ($20))/thirty-five dollars ($35)(fifteen dollars ($15)), which will be paid within forty-five (45) days of publication. Combination works will receive their standard payment as well as fifteen dollars ($15) for the artwork (five dollars ($5) in the case of reprints).
- The Author grants the Publisher the right to use the Author’s name, image, likeness, and biographical material for all advertising, promotion and other exploitation of the Work. Upon request, the Author shall provide the Publisher with a photograph of the Author and appropriate biographical material for such use.
- All rights not expressly granted by the Author reside exclusively with the Author.
- The Author warrants that he or she is the sole author of the Work; that he or she is the owner of all the rights granted to the Publisher hereunder and has full power to enter into this agreement and to make the grants herein contained; that the Work is original and any prior publication of the Work in whole or in part has been fully disclosed to the Publisher; that the Work does not violate the right of privacy of any person; that, to the Author’s knowledge, it is not libelous or obscene and contains no matter which is libelous, in violation of any right of privacy, harmful to the user or any third party so as to subject the Publisher to liability or otherwise contrary to law; and that it does not infringe upon any copyright or upon any other proprietary or personal right of any person, firm or corporation.
- The Author will indemnify the Publisher against any loss, injury, or damage finally sustained (including any legal costs or expenses and any compensation costs and disbursements paid by the Publisher) occasioned to the Publisher in connection with or in consequence or any breach of this warranty and which the Publisher is not able to recover under its insurance policies.
- The Publisher will make no alterations to the Work’s text or title without the Author’s written approval in e-mail or hardcopy. The Publisher reserves the right to make minor copyediting changes to conform the style of the text to its customary form and usage.
- If the Publisher fails to publish the Work within 24 months of the date of this Agreement, all rights granted hereunder shall immediately revert to the Author.
- The Publisher agrees to list a proper copyright notice for the Work in the name of the Author at the end of the Web-published story and, if published in print, on an appropriate copyright page.
- The Author will be credited on the table of contents page and at the beginning of the story as[Author’s supplied byline].
- Regardless of its place of execution, this agreement shall be interpreted under the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The parties acknowledge that each party has read and understood this contract before execution.